Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas is in the Air!

It's the merriest time of year! Now that Thanksgiving has passed we can hang the lights, turn up the Christmas music, and wrap the presents. I am a firm believer that Christmas with all of its trimming should come only after Thanksgiving. Isn't that the order they are in? Anyways, I had a request from a friend to post a tutorial on easy, homemade Nativity costumes. Our ward is putting on a play called "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." It's based on a book and has been made into a movie. It's a really cute play and the kids in our ward are doing a great job. I jumped at the chance to make the costumes for the Nativity scene. It was much easier than I anticipated. I am gonna do a few posts on this. So I will start with a list of supplies and how to make halos.

The costumes are going to use a lot of material. I bought a couple of flat bedsheets at Walmart for $5 to make the shepherds and Joseph. For Mary, the angel, and the wise-men I got satin-poly material from Hobby Lobby. I used the 40% coupon that can be found online. I'm sure I'm leaving out a lot but I will add as we go.

Okay, for the Angel and the little choir of angels' halos I used 18mm wire (Hobby Lobby), gold garland (Dollar Tree), and a headband (Dollar Tree).

First, cut the garland into the halo circumference you want; then measure the wire to the same length. Twist garland around wire. Shape into a circle.

Second, (this part is optional) paint headbands white. Spray paint works best. I got the cheap kind from Walmart for $1.

Third, cut two wires 3" long each to hold up the halo.

Fourth, wrap one end of the 3"-wire to the halo. Try to secure it tightly with hot glue to keep in place.

Fifth, wrap the other end of the 3"-wire around the headband and use pliers to tighten the wire around the headband. 

All Done!



No comments:

Post a Comment