Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fancy Braid Headband

While shopping at Target saw a simple braided headband. Upon closer inspection I found it was made by weaving gray cotton fabric in to a thick 8 strand braid. I thought, "Hey, I could totally make this!" So here it is:

I started with an old white t-shirt I no longer wore. I cut off the sleeves and the hem at the bottom. Then I cut the fabric in to strips about 1-1 1/2 inches wide.

To hold the fabric still, I taped the ends to my coffee table. (In retrospect I would have tied the ends in a knot then taped it to the table.)



This is fun part! First, start by taking the outer most stand on the left and weaving OVER-UNDER-OVER. Next, weave the outer most strand on the right UNDER-OVER-UNDER, and across the first outside strand. And REPEAT!

As your braid gets going you want to tighten strands so they are even.

You should end up with a braid about 1 3/4 inches wide and 14 1/2 inches long. (The measurements will vary depending on how tight your braid is.)

Next, you will need scraps of your fabric, an elastic hair tie (about 2 1/4 inches long), and a glue gun.

Wrap your scrap fabric around the end of your braid and one end of the elastic hair tie. Get as much glue in and around the hair tie and fabric, without getting glue on the outside of the fabric. Continue to glue other end of the elastic to the braid. Let dry about 10 min. before wearing.



Ta-Da!

2 comments:

  1. I love your new blog! I may even do that shorts thing with a new pair of pants! they just don't mke capris as cute and well fiting as jeans. The headband is way cute as well! I have a great banana muffin recipe i'll have to give you so you don't have to wait 12 hours to eat it.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I've found your blog, I am totally stalking you. Don't be scared. Tomorrow I am making this headband! I love it!

    ReplyDelete