Sunday, June 19, 2011

Mary Poppin's Beach Bag

There is nothing this bag cannot hold. 3 Towels, umbrella, bag of chips, 3 bottles of sun screen, a few water bottles, pair of jeans, 2 shirts and a sweater, with room to spare. It was a little bigger than I had intended.


I started with 1 yard of cotton duck, which is a thick canvas-like material, and 1/4 yard of another accent print. I decided how long I wanted to make the bag (25 inches) and how wide I wanted the bottom to be (14 inches). Then I cut the sides to match measurements of front and bottom.
You want to make a 1 1/2" seam on the tops of the sides, front, and back. It's easiest to sew each piece to the bottom, then sew the sides up.

For the handle, I used nylon rope. To do that, I had to put in metal eyelets. I used the Sew-ology ones, which come with tools to hammer the pieces on.

No comments:

Post a Comment