Thursday, October 20, 2011

12 Days to Halloween

Spooky Mason Jars
 
This is one of those projects that looks complicated but really only takes you like an hour to finish. Super easy project and probably already have everything you need to make one of these jars in your home this second.


 
Here is a list of supplies:
-Glass jar (any size works)
-tissue paper 
-glue
-water
-paint and paint brush
-ribbon (optional)


To make the tissue paper stick to the jar you are going to use homemade Mod Podge. Here the recipe. Don't blink, you might miss it! It is equal parts water to glue. That simple!

I measured the tissue paper; then tore it off to give it the uneven top.

 
Next you are going to glue the jar and roll it onto the tissue paper. I modged it about 2 inches at a time. Don't be too concerned with smoothing out the wrinkles. The paper is delicate, especially when it is wet. I noticed that if you use paper with a shiny side, it holds up better.

 
To smooth out the bottom I just folded the edges and modged it. If you want to do a second layer of paper, here is where you add it. Just repeat above steps. However, I don't think it's necessary. I did two layers on my jars and the candle light isn't as bright as I'd like it to be.

 
You're gonna want to let it dry upside down for about 10-20 minutes so the bottom doesn't stick to your work surface.

 
Then, to make the it flame-resistant to the candle, I suggest Mod Podge-ing the top too.

 
Finally, you get to design a face. There are several ways to do this. I chose to paint it on. You can also cut or tear out a face using tissue paper or regular printer paper. To make the paper stick you cover it with Mod Podge.


As soon as they are dry, tie on a ribbon if you want. These would make great walkway lanterns, table decor, or goodie jars to give to neighbors!


1 comment:

  1. These are darling! Thanks for the idea! I might use them for our ward Trunk or Treat. How many days until Halloween?! Yikes! I better get started on Joseph's costume. He wants to be Professor Xavier from X-Men First Class.

    ReplyDelete