Sunday, October 2, 2011

Witch's Wreath


Halloween is almost here!!! To get the party started I made a witch-themed wreath. Here is a short tutorial if you feel inspired to create one of you own. (this is the link that gave me the idea: http://indiefixx.com/2010/10/19/yarn-it-up/: )

 These are the materials I started with. However, I later realized I needed a few extra things. So, what I would suggest starting with is:
-base for wreath (I used a foam pipe covering from the hardware store. I might suggest a regular foam wreath base.)
-yarn to cover wreath
-duct tape
-felt, ribbon, thread, glitter, fabric, or anything else you may need to decorate your wreath
-glue gun
-scissors

1. If you decided to use a foam pipe covering, you want to play with it to get a measurement of how big your wreath will be. Cut the tube to your preferred size. Then wrap your wreath base with the yarn. It is easiest to roll the base and hold the thread. This may not work if you use a real wreath base.
 
 2. When you get close to the end of the tube, tape the ends together with duct tape. Finish wrapping your wreath, then hot glue the end of the yarn to the wreath. Try to hide the end under the surrounding yarn.
3. Cut a paper design before cutting the felt. It will make your life a lot easier.

4. Hot glue the felt peices together and trim the edges. Add any other embellishments. I also cut out card board to glue on the back of the hat to help keep its form.

 5. Because I want to use this wreath for various holidays, I used Velcro to attach the witch hat. 

 6. Finally, I used a ribbon to hang the wreath. I just double-knotted each end of the ribbon instead of gluing it on, so I can switch out colors for different holidays. Good Luck!

2 comments:

  1. Sooooo cute! Good work Katie! I need to do mine now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just noticed the cat in the picture haha. perfect picture for halloween!

    ReplyDelete